Getting your family on track with a healthy lifestyle is as easy as 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…
5. Parents and children alike should consume at least five servings of fruit and vegetables per day so bring on the berries, bananas, carrot sticks, and broccoli. You can even puree them and make a nice cold smoothie in the summertime!
4. Get rid of the sugary beverages and quench you and your kids’ thirst with something a bit healthier, like four glasses water each day. Staying hydrated will keep not only your child safe and healthy it will promote healthy eating habits. Cut up pieces of fruit, cucumber or mint to liven up a glass of water.
3. Two, One – blastoff! Kids love launching something in the air. Provide kids with an active toy – like a ball – instead of something likely to keep them seated. Try flying a kite (if you can figure it out). There’s something wondrous for children of launching something in the air. Or, a simple game of tag takes no props and can be done anywhere! Stay healthy together with fun playtimes at least three times a week
2. Limit your little one’s time in front of the television or computer screen. Experts recommend less than two hours per day of television watching or computer/video-game playing. For children under two, there should ideally be no television or media time. These are recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. But as every parent understands, sometimes you need a little help from a “screen” to get things done around the house – so, just remember to use it in very small doses!
1. Physical activity is key! Get your kids moving for at least one hour every single day! That doesn’t mean you have to play sports – take a walk as a family after dinner, set up hopscotch on the driveway, or plant a family garden in your backyard.
This is a simple recipe that will guarantee a healthy and happy family! And the added plus is that you are setting the stage for your children to establish a lifetime of healthy living patterns that will last for generations to come. It’s May Madness this month at Pretend City Children’s Museum. Each day we have special activities to get your little one moving and active all while having a great time playing.